Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Memin in Context?


I made the same comment in yesterdays blog over at Glyphs, this was the response from Journalist

Sorry it took me so long to come and comment here. First of all Rich, thank you for linking to my blog. I never expected so many people to read my post, but now that it has happened, I have a much better idea of what is going on, and what can be done to reach a better understanding on this tricky business.

@urbanhorror: I am afraid that we’re probably passing each other by with our mutual points. I’m aware,as I say in my post (Although I clarified it in an ETA after reading yours and other comments like this) that the image of Memin is offensive, and it draws from very racist stereotypes. I’m currently organizing with a friend a group of mexican artist to redesign Memin to take him away from those stereotypes. What I was trying to explain is why Mexicans say the story is not racist. because there are a couple of things that were completely distorted in the news report because of the language and cultural difference.

In Fairness

This is not the first time that Memin has caused controversy on the states, but last time I held on hopes that someone from my country would step up and explain what Memin is about, but no one did. Most of the posts in México were about how hystericals americans were at some stuff, not delving in the fact that there's a huge cultural difference between the States and México, and that most of the problem American's have with Memin is due to those cultural differences click here for the whole article

No comments: