Friday, July 20, 2007

Samuel Eto'o




Eto'o seeks racism walk-off
Cameroon and Barcelona striker Samuel Eto'o says players should walk off the pitch if they face racist abuse.

Eto'o almost walked off the pitch last year at Real Zaragoza, who were merely fined US$11,000 for their fans abuse.

Barcelona striker Samuel Eto'oThe 26-year-old is furious with lack of action on racism.

"Promises have been made for change - for sanctions to be enforced - but the first move needs to be made by those who are being subjected to the abuse," he said.

"Part of me hopes that one day someone will manage to walk off the pitch in protest."

With the new season in Europe fast approaching, Eto'o believes the general public also have a role to play in clamping down on the problem.

Samuel Eto'o
(Racism) is just ignorance, that is all it is
Samuel Eto'o

Eto'o said: "If we experience this in football it means our society is rotten and that means we're in a dangerous situation.

"That's what we need to be fighting against. I think that football is a small thing, but society - just imagine!

"I am treated first and foremost as a footballer, as Samuel Eto'o, but away from the cameras a black man is suffering from racism and nobody cares.

"That's the problem."

Taking to www.feelfootball.com, Eto'o also criticised some members of the media for disregarding his comments on the racist attacks he has suffered.

He added: "I think the media tried to shoot me down (in the past) as if I was making too much of it, but the whole time I was just expressing how I was feeling.

"I think that education is the problem, and the media have a full role to play in this.

"It is just ignorance, that is all it is."

No comments: